April 20, 2009

Feedback

Just like in Alcohol anonymous the first step is to accept you have a problem. It is the same with usability. This is done by removing assumptions where ever possible. Your enhancements need to be guided by research and feedback. I have a strong sociology background so this may give a understanding why I lean towards this so much.

There are a lot a ways to get feedback. But I believe taking the simple approach and learn from things around us is always. I found Apple did something I really liked on the topic. Apple is not a premiere company on usability. I actually believe there ability to lead is hampered by elitism. But they do create good things from time-to-time. The feedback function on their new Safari beta app is a great example.

Immediate feedback is a good source of usability. Like surveys after a training, or clickers during a class. What Apple did was integrate this into a software app. They added this button in the top right of the beta app:

The button takes you to this window:


If you click on "More Options" you get this:


That is what I call usability in action.
  1. Clear, simple, and nimble way to get an opinion.
  2. Easy as picking up a pencil.
  3. The taxonomy/structured content is the second option, not the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment