July 27, 2009

Eggs and Heat

I was cooking eggs this morning, but I was having problems as usual. Every time I try to make eggs I end up burning a lot of it. I even tried cooking it at a low temp. But I get impatient, turn-up the heat, and end up with 1/3 of my eggs sticking to the bottom on a non-stick pan. For years I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I even gave up and just let my wife cook the eggs. But today I realized the level of heat dictates my user experience.

When I had the heat too high, I believe I had to watch it all the time and stir it. I ended up with a result of being stressed, frustrated, and much of my eggs sticking to a bottom of a non-stick pan.

But if I cooked it too low, I got an equally worst result. Inpatients takes over, my stomach ask, "why is it taking so long?" I then turn-up the heat. I feel better for a moment, but it gets a bad result fast and adds a unwanted instability. The amount of Heat in cooking the eggs dictates my usability of eating eggs, and my user experience in making them.

Just as heat can affect a cooking experience. The level of stress around a technology enhancement can have a drastic affect on its use.

Heat:
  • No tracking of progress of work. (Too little heat.)
  • "Too many cooks in the kitchen." (Too much heat.)
  • Not lead by business processes. (Changing heat.)
  • Not communicating the impact of one's feedback. (Not knowing when to take it off the stove.)
Many times having too much heat cannot be controlled. That is an option when cooking, but many times it isn't a solution with technology. One way to help control this heat is by usability.

Two main development usability areas to help control heat:

The default setting:
  1. Simplistic and clear on how one will quickly reach a result.
  2. No apparent need for customization, but options are clear and simple to make the app your own.
  3. Focus placed on the "path most taken" to success.
The burn-in stage:
  1. Every adoption of an enhancement must be vetted, and knowledge gained added to lessons learned(history).
  2. One enhancement will always generate request for others. This is the time to start a transparent list of request. Maintenance of this will be the version control of the app.

No comments:

Post a Comment